SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER NO LONGER REQUIRED TO APPLY.
The Hinds County Emergency Rental Aid (HCERA) Program provides emergency rental assistance to Hinds County households experiencing financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 crisis.
Hinds County anticipates the need for assistance will be far greater than the funds available. Because of this, we have developed an application process that will ensure that all applicants will be treated fairly. If applicants pick up and complete a paper application, they must drop off the completed application at one of the designated site locations during an assistance period or mail the completed application package to:
The Integrity Group
Hinds County ERA Grant Program
2120 Killarney Way
Tallahassee, FL 32309
To obtain the funding from this grant an on-line application process is available. It is highly recommended that applicants apply on-line or via mobile phone rather than use the paper application. The online process will begin at 9:00 a.m. on April 19, 2021. The application period will remain open until further notice.
All applications that are completed and meet the basic program requirements will be reviewed for approval based upon a “first qualified, first served” process. Ensuring that an application is complete and is accompanied by the necessary documentation will prevent any delays in the review process.
Amount of Rental Assistance
The amount of rental assistance provided by the HCERA Program will depend on the number of qualified applicants and the amounts of unpaid rent that can be relieved from the federal funds provided. The rental assistance paid directly to landlords will be based on the monthly lease in arrears and applicable late fees. The maximum cumulative award amount for any landlord is $30,000.
Eligible Hinds County households may receive up to twelve (12) months of assistance to address back rent and an additional 3 months of rental assistance for future rent to ensure housing stability, if funds are available.
To be eligible to participate in HCERA Program, tenant applicants must meet the following conditions:
- The tenant’s place of residence must be in Hinds Residents that reside outside Hinds County must apply at the following URL: https://ms-ramp.com/. The State of Mississippi and Hinds County have received separate funding from the U.S. Government for the rental assistance program.
- Tenant must be unable to pay your full rent as a result of a COVID-19 caused financial hardship
- Tenant’s current annual household income must not exceed 80% of the annual Area Median Income (AMI) for Hinds County at the time of application, with preference given to those households earning less than 50% of the annual AMI. These are requirements set by the federal government under the Consolidated Appropriations Act for Federal Fiscal Year 2021.
2020 Income Limit Categories
- There must be an executed lease between you and the property owner or landlord.
- Tenant must certify that their household does not receive any other rental subsidy that is covered by a subsidized federal housing program, (for example: Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, Family Unification Voucher (FUP), Veteran Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH), Project Based Section 8, Emergency Solutions Grant/HAND, other government rental assistance programs related to COVID-19, etc.) In other words, there cannot be a duplication of benefit or assistance.
Tenant Documents You Will be Expected to Provide:
- Proof of being financially impacted by the COVID-19 (e.g., layoff letter, unemployment claim, etc.)
- Your current lease or pages of current lease showing address of home, amount of lease rent, term of lease or if your lease is on a month-to-month basis, and signature of you and landlord.
- Identification for all household members (e.g., driver’s license, passport, birth certificate, university/college student ID, credit card bill, bank statement, etc. School enrollment records are acceptable for minors).
- Proof of current income for all adult household members (e.g., recent pay stubs, layoff letter, SSI, SSDI, retirement, unemployment benefits letter, etc.)
- If applicable, supporting information for months of assistance sought (landlord ledger showing amount of rent currently owed, rent statement, or rent due notice showing the balance of rent owed, etc.)
- A form must be signed by the tenant applicant (who must be an adult) household member certifying that the information in the application is true to the best of their knowledge and belief and that the request for assistance is not a duplication of assistance. The form will serve as an authorization to release information and obtain information from third parties to validate the application’s information. Such form will also serve to put the applicant on notice that, except for personal information parts of the application, the application is subject to the State of Mississippi’s public records disclosure laws.
Owner/Landlord Documentation: The owner/landlord will be contacted by a case manager on how to submit this documentation
- Owner W9 form
- An agreement (Participation Agreement) that the County will provide to the landlords accepting rental assistance containing certain program conditions
- Awards will be made through ACH transactions. The Landlord will agree to authorize The Integrity Group to initiate corrective debit or credit entries as necessary
The tenant and the landlord will be required to furnish information to obtain assistance from the HCERA Program. You will be contacted by email or by phone. Payment from the HCERA Program will be mailed directly to the landlord who has rental payments in arrears.
Public Housing & Community Development – Hinds County does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, marital status, familial status, national origin, age, pregnancy, disability, ancestry, or sexual orientation in the access to, admission into, or employment in, housing programs or activities.
The following forms can be downloaded below:
Have questions about an Assistance Program or application? Visit the FAQ page to find more information.